Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Eucharist


The Eucharist


This evening I was putting tabs together for my new Bible I received for Christmas (thanks Mom!) and was flipping through some apologetic pages.  One section caught my eye and brought me back to the first couple of months I started to really pay attention and participate at Mass. I remember how boring and long it seemed to go on! I felt like I was going to the gym with all the kneeling, standing, sitting, etc... The more I was attentive the more I saw the joy and reverence surrounding the consecration (bread and wine becomes the Body and Blood of Christ) of the Holy Eucharist.  Why is it important?  Is it really Jesus? 



In Catholic elementary school I remember learning about the Eucharist being the Body and Blood of Jesus. At the time that registered in my brain as no big deal.  The priest says things and it becomes Jesus. So in my head it wasn't anything big or spectacular that peaked my interest but I knew it was important because it was the "center of our faith" whatever that means. So I decided to do a little digging to try and grasp something about the Eucharist that would connect with me; something to stick in my head to believe it.
I found the book "7 Secrets of the Eucharist" and could not put it down! (http://www.ignatius.com/Products/SSE-P/7-secrets-of-the-eucharist.aspx) So many facts in the book that I have heard people say but never explain helped me understand at least what the Eucharist is and why it is so important! It is the actual Body of Christ that doesn't look, taste, sound, smell, or feel like him.  Mysterious! So I figured out what the Eucharist is and it led me to thinking about why do we need to receive the Eucharist and how do I know it is really Jesus. Well the Bible is a good place to start and hopefully the internet can tell me more if need be.
So I found where Jesus says "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." (Matthew 26:26); "This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." (Luke 22:19); What sign do you do, that we may see, and believe you?...He gave them bread from heaven to eat. Jesus then said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven; my Father gives you bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven, and gives life to the world. They said to him, Lord, give us this bread always. Jesus said to them I am the bread of life..." (John 6:30-36); Partaking of the Supper Unworthily (1 Corinthians 11:27-34); "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you." (John 6:53) WOW! He said it is his body.  That is easy for me to understand! Jesus said it is his body, it is his body. To put the cherry on top in John 6:54, the very next verse, the original language is the word trogo which means "to gnaw". Okay well I don't think if Jesus wanted use to talk symbolically about his body he would say to gnaw it when doing it in remembrance of him!
Alright Jesus I know what the Eucharist is, why it is important, and that is it truly the Body and Blood of Christ! Well why do we have to receive him?  He said we will not have life within us! Physical life we will, but spiritual and eternal life? When we receive Jesus we are united with his Body.  He is truly present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity!  Much more meaning to me now that I know it is truly Jesus! But why do we need to go to Mass every Sunday?  Short answer?  Why wouldn't you want to receive him as often as possible!!!



I hoped this short blog showed my struggle and journey into The Eucharist.  It is still a struggle when worldly views come in and I just have to remind myself of the word to gnaw.  Also in most churches there is Eucharist Adoration, where Jesus is exposed 24/7 to talk to.  He is waiting for you to go and visit him!

As always feel free to email me with any topics you would like me to talk about!

In Christ through Mary,

Chris

christopheragarn@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment